Stone Arabia Preservation Society

Visit Historic Stone Arabia

Battle of Stone Arabia

The Battle of Stone Arabia was a fight on October 19 in 1780 between a local militia led by John Brown and a raiding party from Canada led by John Johnson, former local scion.  It was a low moment in a war of attrition for control of the western edge of the new nation during the revolutionary war.

Stone Arabia Stone Church

 Around 1733 the two congregations split and the Dutch Reformed Church of Stone Arabia was firmly established by 1743.  The church was left in ashes on October 19, 1780 after the Battle of Stone Arabia.  It was rebuilt in 1788 and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Stone Arabia

The early history of the Stone Church is entwined with the Palatines who first came to the area upon receiving the Stone Arabia Patent in 1723.  The patent conveyed 12,700 acres to 28 families.  initially worshipping in each others homes, the Palatines were of the Reformed and Lutheran faiths. 

 

Stone Arabia Preservation Society

We're Open!  

The church is opens to the public, and will be open daily thru Labor Day

Parsonage renamed in honor of Skip Barshied

The old parsonage was renamed the Willis "Skip" Barshied Center in honor of Skip Barshied, a founding member of the Stone Arabia Preservation Society and local historic preservationist.

Read Skip's stories here

 
 

Visit Local Historic Places - Collect the Whole Set

Old Palatine Church

Historic Church

Access church records

The Stone Arabia Preservation Society has copies of early church records.

Our history

The Stone Arabia Preservation Society was organized in July 1990 and received its permanent charter from New York State Board of Regent sin 1998.  In addition to preserving the former Stone Arabia Reformed Church, parsonage, and adjacent cemetery, the society has as its goal the collection of historic memorabilia and information reflective of Stone Arabia's rich historic past and culture.

© Copyright 2020 Stone Arabia Preservation Society